Acts 27-28 Week 18 – Unstoppable Church
Scripture: Acts 27-28
God calls every believer to be a leader – influencer. Whether you are a teacher, preacher, business person, doctor, lawyer, plumber, electrician, truck driver, father or mother. God is calling you to lead. We have confused meekness with weakness. What God desires is broken boldness. Simply stated: “ Leadership is influence.” We are called to influence others for Jesus Christ.
The Big Idea: Listen to God’s voice; obey and success follows.
Question: Who has your ear? Who are you listening to?
Lesson from a leader-the Apostle Paul
3 KINDS OF STORMS IN LIFE:
- Storms we bring ourselves
- Storms God allows
- Storms other people cause
Acts 27:9-12 (NKJV) Now when much time had been spent, and sailing was now dangerous because the Fast was already over, Paul advised them, 10 saying, “Men, I perceive that this voyage will end with disaster and much loss, not only of the cargo and ship, but also our lives.” 11 Nevertheless the centurion was more persuaded by the helmsman and the owner of the ship than by the things spoken by Paul. 12 And because the harbor was not suitable to winter in, the majority advised to set sail from there also, if by any means they could reach Phoenix, a harbor of Crete opening toward the southwest and northwest, and winter there.
3 COMMON REASONS WE GET INTO TROUBLE:
1. Wrong Guidance from the “Experts”
- So called experts: * Health Experts * Science Experts * Educational Experts * Economic Experts * Governmental Experts
2. Wrong Guidance from a Vote
And because the harbor was not suitable to winter in, the majority advised to set sail from there also, if by any means they could reach Phoenix, a harbor of Crete opening toward the southwest and northwest,and winter there. V12
The majority is often wrong.
3.Wrong Guidance from Circumstances.
When the south wind blew softly, supposing that they had obtained their desire putting to sea, they sailed close to Crete. V13
- Feelings are faulty; they often lie!
- The devil can arrange circumstances also.
3 THINGS THAT WE SHOULD NOT DO WHEN CAUGHT IN A STORM:
1. Don’t Drift!
So when the ship was caught, and could not head into the wind, we let her drive (drift). Acts 27:15 … So we were driven (drifted) v17
- We let go of our goals,values, and the things & people who are valuable in our lives.
- We begin to go with the flow.
And because we were exceedingly tempest – tossed, the next day they lightened the ship. On the third day we threw the ship’s tackle overboard with our hands. Acts 27:18-19
So when they eaten enough, they lightened the ship and threw out the wheat into the sea. Acts 27:38
But the Centurion, wanting to save Paul, kept them from their purposes, and commanded that those who could swim should jump overboard first and go to land. And the rest, some on boards and some on parts of the ship. And so it was that they all escaped safely to land. Acts 27:43 -44
- We start throwing out the things that are important to us; the very things that we need.
3. Don’t Despair!
Now when neither sun nor stars appeared for many days, and no small tempest beat on us,the storm continued ragging all hope that we would be saved was finally given up. Acts 27:20
The last thing we throw out is hope – and then we’re done – it’s all over.
- Remember God is the God of Hope!
- Where there is hope there is faith, and where there is faith miracles happen.
Then, fearing lest we should run aground on the rocks, they dropped four anchors from the stern and prayed for day to come. Acts 27:29
- The test of our faith is how we handle a crisis.
4 Anchors That Give You Confidence In The Storms Of Life:
1. God’s Presence
For there stood by me this night an angel of God whom I belong to – whom I serve. Acts 27:24
I will always be with you. Matthew 28:28
2. God’s Purpose
Do not be afraid Paul; you must be brought before Caesar; and indeed God has granted you all those who sail with you. Acts 27:24
- God says I have a purpose for your life that is greater than the temporary storm.
3. God’s Promise
Therefore take heart , men, for I believe God that it will be just as it was told to me. Acts 27:25
- You may lose the cargo; you may lose the tackle; you may lose the ship; you may even get wet- but you;re going to make it!
- You can always get more stuff, you can get another car, another house – you can get even better stuff!
4. Pray While You Wait
- … pray for daylight. V29
- … and so it was that they all escaped safely to land. V44
Anchor Yourself to The Promise of God and Listen to His Voice!
BREAKTHROUGH 2023 I declare breakthroughs are coming in my life as I obey God. Sudden outbursts of God’s goodness! Not a trickle. Not a stream. But a flood of God’s power. A flood of God’s healing. A flood of God’s wisdom. A flood of God’s favor. I am a breakthrough person and I choose to live breakthrough minded. I am expecting God to overwhelm me with His goodness and amaze me with His favor. This is my DECLARATION!