Acts 19 – Unstoppable Church – Week 15
August 13, 2023
Sermon Series: Unstoppable
Today’s Sermon: The God I Never Knew
Scripture: Acts 19: 1- 20
The Big Idea: The Holy Spirit releases within us the supernatural empowerment to do all that God calls us to do.
Acts 19: 1-6 NLT
While Apollos was in Corinth, Paul traveled through the interior regions until he reached Ephesus, on the coast, where he found several believers. 2 “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” he asked them.
“No,” they replied, “we haven’t even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”
3 “Then what baptism did you experience?” he asked.
And they replied, “The baptism of John.”
4 Paul said, “John’s baptism called for repentance from sin. But John himself told the people to believe in the one who would come later, meaning Jesus.”
5 As soon as they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 Then when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in other tongues and prophesied.
- This is approx. 24 or 25 years after the Day of Pentecost; Acts 1-2.
Question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?
WE HAVE THREE (3) BAPTISMS:
1. Baptism into the body of Christ – SALVATION
2. Water Baptism – PUBLICLY DECLARING YOUR FAITH – what has happened to you inwardly, symbolizing the death and burial of our old sinful self and the raising up of the “New Creation.” This is the New Covenant counterpart to circumcision in the Old Testament.
3. Spirit Baptism – This ACT releases WITHIN us the HOLY SPIRIT’S SUPERNATURAL EMPOWERMENT to do all that God calls us to do.
Friendship with the Holy Spirit Will Change Your Life.
Who is this Person?
- He is our HELPER, we need Him daily.
- And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever – the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. John 14: 16-17 NKJV
- How the Holy Spirit helps us: TEACHES US
- These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. But the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. John 14: 25-26 NKJV
- Conviction – Convince us:
- Of Sin
- Righteousness – Right standing with GOD
- Judgment – Satan, has been judged, he no longer has authority in our lives.
4 Amazing Benefits when We Have Friendship with the Holy Spirit
- Power –
- Acts 1:8
- “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
- Acts 1:8
- Love –
- Romans 5:5
- And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.
- 1Cor. 13
- Romans 5:5
- Fruit –
- But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness…
- Gifts –
- 1Cor. 12 & 14
What is this Speaking in Tongues?
- Why tongues?
- The language of friendship.
Maybe this is one reason:
James 3: 1-12 “CONTROLLING THE TONGUE”
- v7People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, v8 But no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison.
- The public use of tongues and the private use of tongues
1 Cor. 14: 1-5 NKJV
Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.
We don’t have to speak in tongues, we get to speak in tongues.
- What About You? Have you received the wonderful Gift of the Holy Spirit since you believed?